What is Throwback Thursday?
I’ve noticed several of these meme on a few book blogs. For example, Susan Loves Books does one, which is (or was originally) hosted by Renee@It’s Book Talk. I also noticed that another fellow blogger, Lorrea @ What ‘Cha Readin’?, was doing this as a monthly meme for her blog. Then there’s Reading Maria who is doing something called “Last Year I Was Reading” where she compares what she’s reading now to what she read a year ago. Finally, recently I noticed that Susan Osborn over at A Life in Books is doing a series of posts called “Blasts from the Past“. In most instances, they use this to share one of their favorite reads or older reviews. Lorrea is doing it for books she enjoyed over the last decade. I also just noticed that Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies was doing what she calls Flashback Friday, and I hope she’s still doing them! UPDATE: another blogger, Kristin Craves Books just started what she calls #ThrowbookThursday, which I thought would be about books I’d like to throw against the wall, but is actually just back list books! There’s also Susan @ A Life In Books, with her Blast from the Past posts, which are reviews of books read and loved, from before she started blogging.
I really like all of these ideas and am essentially stealing it from ALL of them, but with my own twists.
- The Chocolate Lady’s #ThrowbackThursday takes place on the Thursday before the first Saturday of every month (i.e., the Thursday before my monthly #6Degrees post).
- My posts will highlight one of my previously published book reviews, and I encourage other participants to do the same.
- If you want to participate but have a new blog that doesn’t have old reviews to highlight, you are encouraged to write a post about anything old that strikes your fancy!
- If you want to tweet or share this post, or someone else’s post, or the reviews being highlighted, please use #ThrowbackThursday!
- Please add the link to your post to the link party, below.
- Please link back to this page on your post.
So… with no further ado, I give you…
The Chocolate Lady’s Throwback Thursday Book Review #31
A Haunting Read.
My Book Review for “Anil’s Ghost” by Michael Ondaatje.
My review starts thusly:
“Anil Tissera is a forensic archaeologist who was born in Sri Lanka (where author Michael Ondaatje also hails from). After having been an ex-patriot for nearly 15 years, a human rights commission asks her to investigate a gravesite in her home country. What she finds there, and the colleagues she works with, gets her tangled into a web of conspiracy and intrigue over the bones of a person she calls “Sailor” who she believes was a victim of the civil unrest during the 1980’s and 1990’s in that country.
As this was the much-awaited first novel since “The English Patient,” there was quite a bit for Ondaatje to live up to here. While this is very different from that book, I don’t think he let us down at all. …”
If you like this idea, and want to do your own Throwback Thursday post, please put the link in the comments below.
If you have your own Throwback Thursday or any other type of nostalgia post, you can let me know about your blog post in this link party below. (You can also just post a link to an old review you want us to look at, without making a separate post.) I’ll keep this link party open until my next #ThrowbackThursday post (scheduled for September 29, 2022).