This was originally part of my overly long Finishing my Furlough discussion post, and it got practically no comments or reactions, so I thought I would make it into a separate discussion topic, which is:
What do you think about all the different bookish social media platforms?
These are my personal opinions. I do not expect anyone to agree with anything here, and in fact, I’m certain that many will disagree and/or even hate many of the things I’ve written below. Sorry about that, but you are always welcome to express your own opinions – be they contrary or comparable.
With that out of the way…
As computer literate as I like to believe I am, I’m afraid I’m not totally as social media literate as I probably could be. Here are my opinions of the social media outlets I use/love/hate/don’t care about!
- I still don’t really “get” Instagram, but I’m still using it, sort of, and probably unsuccessfully (any tips would be appreciated).
- Pinterest is okay, but annoying sometimes, especially when they change their interface every five minutes, or suggest I follow a bunch of boards that lead to illegal sites that give away pirated PDFs of newly released books (and I can’t report them for stealing intellectual property because that property isn’t mine). So, I don’t visit the site much, but I do pin my book reviews. I do that using the…
- Tailwind app to (manually) share those pins with other boards, and the five “tribes” to which I’m subscribed. Since I’m on nearly 50 shared boards, that makes re-pinning my pins easier. However, I don’t like it enough to pay for it, so it is manual re-pinning for me!
- Twitter isn’t as frustrating as I thought it was, but I’m still too paranoid to get behind on new tweets to keep the home page open for too long. Of course, that means I miss TONS of stuff, I’m sure. Even so… I now have over 1000 followers there, so… that’s something, right?
- I’m wondering if I should delete my Tumblr account; I almost never look at it, and I’m not sure what good it does.
- I’m still sharing my posts on LinkedIn because… well, why not (it doesn’t cost me anything, even if no one ever looks at my posts). However, I almost never look at my account anymore (I’m about to retire. I’m not looking for a new job, and that’s what this site is best for, if you ask me.)
- I hate Bloglovin’ even more than I did before (which is why there’s no link here to my profile there), especially since (as you can see from these three screenshots, here) practically ALL of my followers are now just to porn sites. Plus, you can’t delete your account there for love or money! Don’t use it people, please don’t use it, I BEG of you! Furthermore, I will NOT follow anyone using their site anymore, so even if you continue to use it yourself, I do hope you have another way for me to follow your blog.
- Strangely enough, with my Facebook page for this blog, while I’ve continued to post links to my reviews and articles here, I’ve actually reduced the amount of sharing of those posts on other pages and groups. This is probably because I’ve been more active here, and I don’t want to spam all the pages and groups I’m on there. (Okay, so I started cutting down after FB released this blog from a six-month jail sentence, but now I’m doing even less sharing from there.)
- Goodreads is very useful to keep track of my reviews and reading. Sometimes the groups are interesting as well, so I’m going to keep on using it.
- Medium – if they were willing to pay their contributors, even pennies, I might be willing to buy a subscription so I could read more than five articles there a month, but no one wants to read book reviews there, and I don’t see much there that’s worth paying for. I think I’ll just let it slide.
- Patrion – I had ONE subscriber there and now I think she’s gone. I don’t understand this platform at all. And now they’re talking about sales tax – what’s that about? Forget it… I have disabled my account because… see, Medium above.
- YouTube – no, I do not have an account. Why? I hate the way I look in pictures, I think I have a very ugly speaking voice, and I get terribly tongue-tied on camera. So no, I will not be doing video reviews, nor will I be starting a Vlog on YouTube! Sorry! (Although I might watch yours.)
There are a few others I signed on to, like Flipboard, Mix, MeWe, and something called Instapaper, but it seems to me they’re more a waste of time and I don’t see much advantage to any of them. I haven’t updated these sites in a while now, and I’ll probably just drop them altogether eventually.
(PS: For all you WP people out here who are dreading the switchover to the new editor? Guess what? It is after June 1, and I’m still using the old one. How? I just copy an older post made using the old editor and VOILA !)
So… what about you?
What bookish social media do you use?
Are there sites I haven’t mentioned that you might recommend?
Which ones do you love?
Which ones do you hate?
Which ones are you indifferent to?
This post is my 11th entry in the 2020 Discussion Challenge, hosted by Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction and Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight!